Sunday, August 16, 2026
No Result
View All Result
NewsWave
  • Home
  • World
  • USA
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Technology
  • Pricing
  • Login
  • Home
  • World
  • USA
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Technology
  • Pricing
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NewsWave
No Result
View All Result
Home World Australia

AFL says deal is done, amid Labor claims it will renegotiate contract on Hobart stadium and Tasmanian team

21 February 2024
in Australia
AFL says deal is done, amid Labor claims it will renegotiate contract on Hobart stadium and Tasmanian team
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter



In May 2023, the Rockliff Liberal government signed a deal for a Tasmanian club to enter the national competition, contingent on the construction of a 23,000-seat roofed stadium at Macquarie Point in Hobart. The stadium plan has faced opposition, with the Greens against it and Labor planning to renegotiate the contract terms if they win power.

The AFL and Labor are in disagreement, with Labor claiming a stadium cannot be built at Macquarie Point while the AFL insists it must. Despite Labor’s intentions to renegotiate the deal if they win the upcoming election, details on what changes they seek and if the AFL is willing to negotiate remain unclear.

Labor continues to criticize the deal as unfavorable for Tasmania and vows to secure a better agreement with the AFL. However, they have not provided specifics on their renegotiation plans or an alternative location for the team’s home base. The Liberal Party has set a $375 million cap on the government’s contribution to the stadium’s construction, estimated at $715 million.

Labor’s stance on the stadium has shifted from opposition to supporting the project’s assessment through the Project of State Significance process. They argue that the stadium cannot be built at Macquarie Point due to space and land contamination issues. The Macquarie Point Development Corporation disputes this claim, stating that a stadium can fit on the site.

An alternative stadium proposal by engineer Dean Coleman and former premier Paul Lennon has been suggested, but it would require significant state funding and excavation work. The Jacqui Lambie Network, despite previously opposing a stadium, has removed anti-stadium content from their website due to conflicting views among their candidates.

Overall, the future of the Tasmanian club and stadium project remains uncertain as political parties and stakeholders continue to debate its feasibility and location.



Source link

🌊 Diving deeper into this topic...

🪄 Creating a simple explanation...

PerspectiveSplit
Beta
◀ Left Center Right ▶
Bias score — Tidal Access only

Left-Leaning
Right-Leaning
AI Summary
Upgrade to Tidal Access
Tags: AFLClaimsContractdealHobartLaborrenegotiatestadiumTasmanianteam
Previous Post

The fearless mindset of the Warriors’ Brandin Podziemski: ‘He’s got a delusion to him’

Next Post

Tory and SNP MPs walk out of Commons in protest at Speaker in Gaza ceasefire vote

Related Posts

Australia

Thylacine head sells for £60,000 at auction

16 August 2026
Australia

Highway closed after serious crash injures two people

16 August 2026
Australia

Your horoscope for Monday, August 17, 2026

16 August 2026
Australia

NDIS minister confident in reforming costly scheme amid crackdown on providers

16 August 2026
Australia

Large Venue Showcases Simple Elegance

16 August 2026
Australia

Sam Pang wins Gold Logie at the 2026 Logies

16 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
NewsWave

News Summarized. Time Saved. Bite-sized news briefs for busy people. No fluff, just facts.

CATEGORIES

  • Africa
  • Asia Pacific
  • Australia
  • Business
  • Canada
  • Entertainment
  • Europe
  • India
  • Latest News
  • Middle East
  • New Zealand
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Trending
  • UK
  • USA
  • World

LATEST NEWS STORIES

  • Israeli Settlers Establish New Illegal Outpost in Occupied West Bank
  • WNBA subreddit bans use of Sophie Cunningham’s name in discussions
  • 10 years ago, killer clowns caused chaos on the streets – what followed?
  • About Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Contact Us

Copyright © 2026 News Wave
News Wave is not responsible for the content of external sites.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • USA
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Technology
  • Pricing
  • Login

Copyright © 2026 News Wave
News Wave is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In