Wednesday, August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
NewsWave
  • Home
  • World
  • USA
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Technology
  • Pricing
  • Login
  • Home
  • World
  • USA
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Technology
  • Pricing
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NewsWave
No Result
View All Result
Home World New Zealand

State of emergency ends in Bluecliffs

17 March 2024
in New Zealand
State of emergency ends in Bluecliffs
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


A Southland community is entering the recovery phase after the state of emergency it had been under for more than a month ended.

Rapid erosion from the sea and Waiau River threatened properties in Bluecliffs last month, with three metres of land lost in a day.

Earlier this month, residents were told to evacuate so an old dump site that potentially contained explosives could be cleared.

A state of emergency had been in place since 8 February, but expired on Sunday.

Southland District Council Mayor Rob Scott signed a ‘transition to recovery’ declaration on the same day, saying they were in a good position to develop longer-term solutions with the community.

“The decision to take this step into the recovery phase provides a minimum of a 28-day period where Emergency Management Southland and the councils will continue to support the community,” he said.

A recovery manager would be appointed to look at managing the erosion risk in the longer-term, Scott said. They will have the power to direct and coordinate workers and resources as part of the recovery efforts.

“We have progressed the two key pieces of work we set out to as part of this state of emergency, and we have a lot more information available to us. This puts us in a good position to develop solutions, alongside the community, that are focused on the longer-term.”

They included clearing the old community dump before more of it eroded into the sea. About 1100 tonnes of material, including asbestos, was removed over four days.

No explosives have been found, but the one-kilometre exclusion zone remained in place at the dump.

The second project was an attempt to ease the pressure off the land in front of houses by shifting the opening of the Waiau River mouth. It took roughly two weeks to create an opening, but the success was short-lived as sea swells pushed the gravel back into place.

That work was under review, and officials were considering their next steps before speaking to the community in the next few weeks, he said.

“The community’s ideas for the opening will be considered alongside this independent advice, and we’ll discuss the next steps with the community before moving forward.”

He thanked the community for their patience and encouraged them to reach out for support if needed and to continue preparing for their future.

“I know some residents had started planning to move homes to the front of their properties or away from the area entirely. This is a positive move, and they should continue to finalise these plans while the work to clear the dump material is underway.”

The government has earmarked $1.35 million to help Environment Southland and Southland District Council clear the dump site.



Source link

🌊 Diving deeper into this topic...

🪄 Creating a simple explanation...

PerspectiveSplit
Beta
◀ Left Center Right ▶
Bias score — Tidal Access only

Left-Leaning
Right-Leaning
AI Summary
Upgrade to Tidal Access
Tags: Bluecliffsemergencyendsstate
Previous Post

Storing Renewable Energy, One Balloon at a Time

Next Post

Top legal and justice experts warn NSW government against new bail laws

Related Posts

New Zealand

Auckland Airport profit declines 0.5% to $309 million despite 3% revenue increase

19 August 2026
New Zealand

PwC recommends 12-year funding pipelines for New Zealand infrastructure planning

19 August 2026
New Zealand

Review Identifies Failures in Mount Maunganui Landslide Incident

19 August 2026
New Zealand

Glassons promotion generates social media exposure from store rush

19 August 2026
Australia

Erin Patterson Appeals Three Murder Convictions in Poison Mushroom Case

19 August 2026
New Zealand

Unattended candles led to fatal house fire, coroner finds

19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
NewsWave

News Summarized. Time Saved. Bite-sized news briefs for busy people. No fluff, just facts.

CATEGORIES

  • Africa
  • Asia Pacific
  • Australia
  • Business
  • Canada
  • Entertainment
  • Europe
  • India
  • Latest News
  • Middle East
  • New Zealand
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Trending
  • UK
  • USA
  • World

LATEST NEWS STORIES

  • Lebanon transfers Assad-era general to Syria for the first time since 2011
  • Border state collectors to determine citizenship applications under CAA rules
  • NASA’s Swift telescope to descend toward Earth after mission cancellation
  • About Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Contact Us

Copyright © 2026 News Wave
News Wave is not responsible for the content of external sites.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • USA
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Technology
  • Pricing
  • Login

Copyright © 2026 News Wave
News Wave is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In