Wednesday, August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
NewsWave
  • Home
  • World
  • USA
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Technology
  • Pricing
  • Login
  • Home
  • World
  • USA
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Technology
  • Pricing
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NewsWave
No Result
View All Result
Home World USA

Top Cuban official says country open to more U.S. deportations, blames embargo for migrant exodus

18 April 2024
in USA
Top Cuban official says country open to more U.S. deportations, blames embargo for migrant exodus
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Washington — In an exclusive interview with CBS News, a top Cuban official stated that Cuba’s government is open to accepting more deportation flights of Cuban migrants from the U.S., who have been arriving at the southern border in record numbers over the past three years.

After a two-year pause, deportation flights to Cuba from the U.S. resumed last year, with one flight carrying deportees to Havana each month. However, Deputy Foreign Minister Carlos Fernández de Cossío expressed Cuba’s willingness to accommodate more than one flight per month during his visit to Washington for migration talks with the Biden administration.

Fernández de Cossío stated, “We’re open to having more deportation flights,” as discussions on the U.S.-Cuba Migration Accords continue this week. Despite the historical tensions between the two countries, they have collaborated on immigration issues, especially in light of the surge in Cuban migrants at the U.S.-Mexico border.

Since the start of fiscal year 2021, over 450,000 Cuban migrants have been processed at the southern border by Customs and Border Protection. Fernández de Cossío attributed the exodus from Cuba to U.S. policies, including the embargo and the Cuban Adjustment Act, which offers a pathway to U.S. residency for certain Cuban migrants.

He emphasized the need for legal channels for Cuban citizens to come to the U.S. and urged the State Department to resume processing tourist and short-term visas in Havana. Fernández de Cossío also expressed concerns about potential additional U.S. sanctions if former President Trump is re-elected.

Camilo Montoya-Galvez

screen-shot-2022-12-06-at-11-01-10-pm.png

Camilo Montoya-Galvez is the immigration reporter at CBS News.



Source link

🌊 Diving deeper into this topic...

🪄 Creating a simple explanation...

PerspectiveSplit
Beta
◀ Left Center Right ▶
Bias score — Tidal Access only

Left-Leaning
Right-Leaning
AI Summary
Upgrade to Tidal Access
Tags: blamescountryCubandeportationsembargoexodusmigrantofficialOpentopU.S
Previous Post

U.S. Restarts Deportation Flights to Haiti

Next Post

How England’s scrapped Sure Start centres boosted the health and education of disadvantaged children

Related Posts

USA

DEA investigates Hayden Panettiere’s death

19 August 2026
Asia Pacific

Donald Trump Calls US-South Korea Military Exercises ‘Insulting’ to Kim Jong Un

19 August 2026
USA

Democrats Transition to Post-Resistance Political Era

19 August 2026
Latest News

Census Report on Noncitizen Voting Linked to Donald Trump’s Organization

19 August 2026
USA

U.S. spy in war on terror faces deportation by ICE

19 August 2026
USA

NASA’s Swift telescope to descend toward Earth after mission cancellation

19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
NewsWave

News Summarized. Time Saved. Bite-sized news briefs for busy people. No fluff, just facts.

CATEGORIES

  • Africa
  • Asia Pacific
  • Australia
  • Business
  • Canada
  • Entertainment
  • Europe
  • India
  • Latest News
  • Middle East
  • New Zealand
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Trending
  • UK
  • USA
  • World

LATEST NEWS STORIES

  • DEA investigates Hayden Panettiere’s death
  • Donald Trump Calls US-South Korea Military Exercises ‘Insulting’ to Kim Jong Un
  • Russians withdraw billions from banks amid concerns over Putin’s policies
  • About Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Contact Us

Copyright © 2026 News Wave
News Wave is not responsible for the content of external sites.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • USA
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Technology
  • Pricing
  • Login

Copyright © 2026 News Wave
News Wave is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In