Tuesday, February 17, 2026
No Result
View All Result
NewsWave
  • Home
  • World
  • USA
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Technology
  • Pricing
  • Login
  • Home
  • World
  • USA
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Technology
  • Pricing
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NewsWave
No Result
View All Result
Home World Canada

UConn students celebrate into the early morning after second consecutive title

9 April 2024
in Canada
UConn students celebrate into the early morning after second consecutive title
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


STORRS, Conn. (AP) — Some windows were broken and street signs taken down, but celebrations following UConn’s second consecutive men’s basketball championship were mostly peaceful, the school said Tuesday.

Thousands of students spilled onto campus following the 75-60 win over Purdue in the NCAA title game in Arizona and the celebrating lasted into the early morning hours.

Someone took a downed street sign and smashed it through part of the glass front of the student recreation center, school officials said. That section of the building was boarded up on Tuesday morning and the center’s opening was delayed, according to the school’s website.

At least five people were arrested across campus, but their identities and the charges were not immediately available, school spokesman Mike Enright said.

“On the whole, it was a very good night on the Storrs campus and the university looks forward to continuing to celebrate our phenomenal student-athletes, their coaches, and this incredible win,” he said in an email.

The school planned a welcome home celebration for 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, when the team is scheduled to return from Arizona.

Such festivities have become somewhat routine at UConn, which has earned six men’s basketball national championships and 11 women’s titles over the last 30 years. The school is 17-1 in NCAA basketball title games.

“You know, we’re coming back next year, “ UConn student Kevin Medina told WFSB-TV. ”We’re amazed. We’re all good times. It’s good to be a resident of Connecticut right now.”

Last year, 16 people were injured, 39 people were arrested and six students ended up being expelled following more widespread vandalism.

Precautions were in place Monday designed to prevent a repeat of that and no serious injuries were reported.

In advance of the Final Four, the school removed the aluminum light posts along Hillside Road, the main thoroughfare through the center of campus, and replaced them with temporary lighting.

The school also limited the size of the campus watch party. Only 6,700 students, all of whom won tickets to the event through a lottery, were allowed inside Gampel Pavilion, and they were seated in the upper bowl of the 10,000-capacity arena.

The general public was barred from the event and, unlike last year, no alcohol was sold or allowed inside, Enright said.

___

AP March Madness bracket: https://apnews.com/hub/ncaa-mens-bracket and coverage: https://apnews.com/hub/march-madness

The Associated Press



Source link

🌊 Diving deeper into this topic...

🪄 Creating a simple explanation...

Loading PerspectiveSplit analysis...

Tags: CelebrateconsecutiveearlyMorningstudentstitleUConn
Previous Post

Germany slaps down Nicaragua’s charge it facilitates ‘genocide’ in Gaza – POLITICO

Next Post

Baltimore bridge collapse floods internet with rumors — Radio Free Asia

Related Posts

Poilievre clarifies stance on MP’s anti-U.S. remarks
Canada

Poilievre clarifies stance on MP’s anti-U.S. remarks

17 February 2026
Tumbler Ridge students will not return to school after shooting
Canada

Tumbler Ridge students will not return to school after shooting

17 February 2026
Fundraisers for Tumbler Ridge Shooting Victims Exceed  Million
Canada

Fundraisers for Tumbler Ridge Shooting Victims Exceed $3 Million

17 February 2026
Police watchdog may investigate Tumbler Ridge mass shooting
Canada

Police watchdog may investigate Tumbler Ridge mass shooting

17 February 2026
Olympic Viewing Guide: Events for Day 12
Canada

Olympic Viewing Guide: Events for Day 12

17 February 2026
Ex-Regina Politician Faces Criminal Trials for Massage Parlour Operation
Canada

Ex-Regina Politician Faces Criminal Trials for Massage Parlour Operation

17 February 2026
NewsWave

News Summarized. Time Saved. Bite-sized news briefs for busy people. No fluff, just facts.

CATEGORIES

  • Africa
  • Asia Pacific
  • Australia
  • Business
  • Canada
  • Entertainment
  • Europe
  • India
  • Middle East
  • New Zealand
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Trending
  • UK
  • USA
  • World

LATEST NEWS STORIES

  • Poilievre clarifies stance on MP’s anti-U.S. remarks
  • Man Struggles with Shooter at Rhode Island Hockey Game
  • Claremore Defeats Tahlequah in District Girls Basketball Game
  • About Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Contact Us

Copyright © 2026 News Wave
News Wave is not responsible for the content of external sites.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • USA
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Technology
  • Pricing
  • Login

Copyright © 2026 News Wave
News Wave is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In