Sunday, February 22, 2026
No Result
View All Result
NewsWave
  • Home
  • World
  • USA
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Technology
  • Pricing
  • Login
  • Home
  • World
  • USA
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Technology
  • Pricing
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NewsWave
No Result
View All Result
Home World Asia Pacific

Launch of Russian Soyuz spacecraft aborted seconds before blast-off

21 March 2024
in Asia Pacific
Launch of Russian Soyuz spacecraft aborted seconds before blast-off
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


The launch of a Russian Soyuz spacecraft was aborted just seconds before scheduled lift-off to the International Space Station on Thursday and the crew of a Russian, a Belarusian, and an American were safely evacuated.

“Launch!” mission control said in Russian as the rocket was shown at its launch site at the Baikonur cosmodrome in the steppe of Kazakhstan with its main umbilical shown moving away.

Then the words “automatic cancellation of the launch” came over the live stream just 20 seconds before the scheduled launch.

Roscosmos, the Russian space agency, said there had been a slump in the current of a chemical power source about 20 seconds before lift-off. It was not immediately clear what exactly the current fluctuation affected.

Nasa astronaut Tracy Dyson (centre), Russian cosmonaut Oleg Novitsky (bottom) and Marina Vasilevskaya of Belarus wave as they board the Soyuz spacecraft in Kazakhstan on Thursday. Photo: Roscosmos via AP

Aborting the launch at such late notice is rare – with the rocket on the launch pad with its crew bracing for take-off.

Roscosmos said the launch would take place on March 23 at 1236 GMT, and space chief Yuri Borisov played down the drama.

“Colleagues, space is like this and the situation is quite understandable,” he said.

Nasa TV said the second umbilical support retracted but without the initiation of the engine.

Those presenting the live stream for Roscosmos, the Russian space agency, said: “Unfortunately friends, a command has been sounded to cancel the launch.”

Tiny meteorite may have caused leak that led Russians to abort spacewalk

The launch had been scheduled to take place at 1321 GMT and dock with the ISS a few hours later.

The crew, including Nasa astronaut Tracy Dyson, Russian cosmonaut Oleg Novitsky and Marina Vasilevskaya of Belarus, were shown in the rocket just before the cancellation.

Novitsky and Vasilevskaya had been due to stay just 12 days on the ISS and to give a ride home to American Loral O’Hara on April 2, according to Nasa.

Dyson was due to spend six months aboard the ISS doing experiments on technology that would help humans prepare for future space missions, Nasa said.



Source link

🌊 Diving deeper into this topic...

🪄 Creating a simple explanation...

Loading PerspectiveSplit analysis...

Tags: abortedblastofflaunchRussiansecondsSoyuzspacecraft
Previous Post

Who Are The 'Waspi Women' And Why Are They 'Owed Compensation'?

Next Post

Reddit goes public, makes stock market debut

Related Posts

Indonesia’s Nickel Production Cut and Its Impact on the Philippines
Asia Pacific

Indonesia’s Nickel Production Cut and Its Impact on the Philippines

10 February 2026
The Japan Times wins Best Breaking News at 2026 Aerospace Media Awards
Asia Pacific

The Japan Times wins Best Breaking News at 2026 Aerospace Media Awards

8 February 2026
Ex-Farm Minister Eto Faces Rice Gaffe During Campaign
Asia Pacific

Ex-Farm Minister Eto Faces Rice Gaffe During Campaign

4 February 2026
Biodiversity Loss and Its Economic Impact in Asia and the Pacific
Asia Pacific

Biodiversity Loss and Its Economic Impact in Asia and the Pacific

3 February 2026
China Changes Policy on Uyghur Camps Amid Global Pressure
Asia Pacific

China Changes Policy on Uyghur Camps Amid Global Pressure

27 January 2026
Trump Steps Back from Global Economic Leadership
Asia Pacific

Trump Steps Back from Global Economic Leadership

22 January 2026
NewsWave

News Summarized. Time Saved. Bite-sized news briefs for busy people. No fluff, just facts.

CATEGORIES

  • Africa
  • Asia Pacific
  • Australia
  • Business
  • Canada
  • Entertainment
  • Europe
  • India
  • Middle East
  • New Zealand
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Trending
  • UK
  • USA
  • World

LATEST NEWS STORIES

  • Iran Offers Nuclear Concessions and Sanction Relief
  • Oman Confirms US-Iran Talks Scheduled in Geneva
  • Transcript of “Face the Nation” on February 22, 2026
  • About Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Contact Us

Copyright © 2026 News Wave
News Wave is not responsible for the content of external sites.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • USA
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Technology
  • Pricing
  • Login

Copyright © 2026 News Wave
News Wave is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In