Maryland Gov. Wes Moore outlined several goals in the aftermath of the bridge collapse on Friday. He described the scope of the disaster as a fright nearly the size of the Eiffel Tower “with the Key Bridge resting on top of it,” and shipping containers “ripped in half as if they were papier-maché.”
Moore told reporters that the Unified Command continues to focus on recovery efforts to help bring “closure” to the victims’ families.
A search team uses a remotely operated underwater vehicle to look at the wreckage of the Francis Scott Key Bridge, which was destroyed when a cargo ship collided with it earlier this week, on March 29, 2024 in Baltimore.
He mentioned that as soon as conditions in the water are safe enough, divers will go back in the water to look for the four victims who are still missing.
Another priority is clearing the blocked channel, he said, emphasizing that the Port of Baltimore must reopen for the “health” of the Maryland economy and U.S. economy.
Moore also pledged to rebuild the bridge and to take care of everyone impacted by the crisis, including the families, workers, businesses, and first responders.