The news came as road safety campaign group Parc said it was vital that real-time sharing of information on disqualifications, insurance, driver and vehicle details be achieved under the Road Traffic Act 2023 to allow gardaí to effectively tackle rogue motorists at roadside checkpoints.
There has been an alarming surge in road deaths here over recent months.
Ireland’s road death toll is now 31pc higher than for the same period in 2023 – with last year representing the worst for road fatalities in more than a decade.
A total of 55 people have died on Irish roads so far this year, with 16 deaths this month.
The number of fatalities represents a 33pc increase on the 12 deaths recorded last March, with two days still left in the month.
The total number of deaths this year is 13 more than for the same period last year.
The death toll includes 24 drivers, 17 passengers, 10 pedestrians, three motorcyclists and one pedal cyclist.
Of those fatalities, 22 people were aged 30 and younger.
Eleven of the young people who died were passengers.
Gardaí, the Road Safety Authority (RSA) and safety charities have pleaded with people to drive carefully over the Easter weekend. If the trend in road deaths continues, Ireland is on course to record the worst year for road fatalities in more than two decades.
RSA chairperson Liz O’Donnell said the recent scale of road fatalities was “a cause of serious concern”.
She appealed to road users to adhere to safety advice and slow down, never drink while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, maintain vehicles and be aware of other road users, in particular cyclists and pedestrians.
The surge in road deaths came as personnel within dedicated road policing units (RPUs) fell by almost 20pc over the past seven years.
In 2022, Garda RPUs had 692 members but that fell to 688 last year and has now dropped to 627 officers.
The Irish Independent has learned that full data sharing between the RSA, Department of Transport, gardaí and the motor insurance industry will not be achieved until next year at the earliest.
Junior Transport Minister Jack Chambers said gardaí using handheld devices will be able to have real-time roadside access to data in respect of vehicle, driver and licence/disqualification information from next month.
Parc group founder Susan Gray said it was vital that every possible resource be provided for gardaí as they work to enforce road safety regulations.
“What is worrying is that the (road fatality) numbers have been going in the wrong direction, both in 2022 and in 2023,” Ms Gray said.
For the last decade Parc has campaigned for real-time provision of vital road safety information, greater resources for Garda RPUs and reform of the driver testing regime.
Ms Gray said the recent spiral in road deaths across Ireland was “very worrying”.
Social Democrats TD Catherine Murphy was assured four years ago by then-junior transport minister Hildegarde Naughton that the matter of data sharing between various road safety agencies was being progressed.
However, it has now emerged that motor insurers will not be able to access the data system in real time until the start of next year at the earliest.
In a communication on February 28 to Ms Gray, Mr Chambers indicated that gardaí will be able to access real-time data from handheld devices at roadside checkpoints in respect of driver and licence disqualification data from April-June.
However, full implementation including data access for insurers will not be achieved before January or February next year.
Mr Chambers said department officials are now working with the Motor Insurers’ Bureau of Ireland (MIBI) and Insurance Ireland over technical issues surrounding extended real-time data access.
“Once these measures are agreed and in place, the relevant provisions of the 2023 Act will be commenced,” he said.
“The expected timeline is for intermediaries to have access to endorsement by summer 2024, with driver number collection and verification in place by year end, and disqualification data sharing to be implemented in January-March 2025.”
Parc said road safety enforcement and education needs to be properly resourced if the number of fatalities is to be reduced.
The group has demanded strict enforcement of driving regulations and measures to ensure learner drivers must sit a test before they can secure another learner permit.
Ms Gray said Garda resources, regulatory enforcement and driver education are key components in the strategy to reduce road deaths.
Current figures indicate that almost 70pc of fatal collisions happen between 7pm and 4am.
According to RSA research, the highest risk age group among road users last year was those aged 16 to 25 years.
This group represented 26pc of total fatalities (48 deaths) and the figures represented an overall increase of 23 road-user fatalities compared to 2022.
Men are also dying on Irish roads at a rate of five to one compared to women.
RSA research shows the majority of drivers speed in 30kmh zones.
A survey of more than 50,000 vehicles carried out by the RSA found 58pc of drivers were speeding on roads where the limit was 30kmh.
Drivers are significantly more likely to comply with speed limits on higher speed roads, with 83pc of drivers in 120kmh zones within the limit.
The survey found the majority of those caught speeding exceeded the speed limit by up to 10kmh.
Non-compliance with the speed limit was found to rise at weekends and is at its highest from the late night into the early morning, in the 8pm-8am period and particularly between 4am-8am.
The RSA is aiming to personalise other road users such as cyclists and pedestrians.
It aims to help people move away from an “us versus them” approach between drivers and other road users.
“Everyone using the roads should demonstrate safe road user behaviour and protect vulnerable road users, including cyclists,” RSA chief executive Sam Waide said.
“Excessive speed continues to be a leading contributory factor in fatal collisions in Ireland and internationally.”